ALC’s Masquerade Draws Diverse Crowd

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:02

ALC's Masquerade Draws Diverse Crowd

Eun Hee Kwon // Heights Staff

Avant-garde performers, a retro photo booth, and the synthetic urban beats of DJ Ides (Alex Bou-Rhodes, A&S ’15) commanded the attention of over 850 Boston College students at the AHANA Leadership Council’s (ALC) 17th annual ball, held at the Westin Copley Place. Dressed to the nines, the hundreds of students who attended the dance represented a multitude of cultures and traditions, all celebrating and invoking the much sought after BC spirit of unity. Gabriela Mejia, co-director of the ALC programming department and A&S ’13, affirmed the event’s success: “I was most impressed by the crowd that we were able to draw to the event,” she said. “We had a very diverse group of people in attendance and it was great to even get a large turnout of international students.”
This year, ALC decided to add an element of flair to the ball by adopting a masquerade theme, reflected in the Renaissance masks distributed at the entrance and the clothing attire of the several performers. “Our staff is very proud of how the Ball turned out this year,” said Denise Pyfrom co-director of programming and A&S ’14. “We wanted to do something completely outside of the box, and I believe it worked. We were so excited that people took the Masquerade theme seriously, and some even brought their own masks from home.” The performers in attendance included dolled-up stilt walkers, an intricate acrobatics show, and a powdered woman who might as well have starred in Marie Anotoinette. Further attracting guests’ attention was a photo booth positioned right outside the ballroom—by midnight, the line for a cherished group photo had extended across the entire room. Mejia relished her time coordinating the event, taking special note of guests’ reactions to the entertainment: “The most rewarding parts of this experience were being able to watch everyone have a great time dancing and watching everyone’s expressions when the stilt walkers roamed around dancing or the acrobats contorted into crazy positions,” she said. “I couldn’t be happier with the way the ALC Masquerade Ball turned out, and I hope that everyone enjoyed it.”
Students expressed their contentment with the theme as some posed for photographs with the performers, while others invited the entertainers onto the dance-floor to crump to the tunes of DJ Ides, which included infectious remixes of hip-hop hits like Rihanna’s “Pour It Up” and Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “In Paris.”
“The performers went above and beyond our expectations,” Pyfrom said. “They were extremely talented and kind to the students who wanted to take pictures with them. The crowd really seemed to love having a new aspect of fun added to the night. We also received a great amount of praise for the music. The students loved DJ Ides, who is actually a sophomore student. He always keeps the crowd on their feet at our events.”
In addition to the entertainers scattered about the ballroom, the high quality food was another student favorite. In accordance with the overall mission of ALC—diversity—the food ranged from pork dumplings to customizable tacos. ALC has worked to uplift the BC community and cultivate an atmosphere of acceptance and knowledge, all while making the AHANA community feel welcome. The event had initially sold out due to its immense popularity, prompting the board to request additional tickets from the Westin. Contrary to the common assumption that ALC events are restricted to AHANA students, the ball played host to students of every cultural background.

“We were overwhelmed by the diversity of students who came out to the event,” Pyfrom said. “As members of the Undergraduate Government, it has always been our goal to make it known that ALC events are open to all students. We aim not only to celebrate the accomplishments of the AHANA community, but to celebrate being a student at Boston College.”
Mejia and Pyfrom expressed sincere appreciation to all of those who contributed to the night’s massive success. Pyfrom was especially proud of the fact that the ball had embodied ALC’s mission. “We were thrilled to see that of the 850 students who came, they were all from different cultures, grades, and student organizations,” she said. “To our staff, that was the true indicator that our event was a success.”