Asian Caucus Relaunches Magazine

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 21:02

The Asian Caucus’ literary magazine, ASIAM, is returning this semester in digital format. The magazine prints prose, poetry, essays, and all forms of visual art, in hopes of capturing the identities and experiences of Asian American students.

Founded in 1993, the magazine was formerly named True Colors and published similar content focused on the past and present experiences of Asian American students. True Colors was printed until 2005. In 2010, the magazine was renamed ASIAM, a fusion of the words Asian and American, to continue to provide a creative outlet for students of any background about their experiences with the Asian American identity.

ASIAM aims to provide a space where students can showcase artwork of all kinds. According to the magazine’s website, ASIAM works to “cultivate this unique composite of culture through informative journalism and engaging narratives, centered on our perception of Asian America, both on and off campus.” Their goal is to allow students to voice their experiences of this dual identity and establish a presence on Boston College campus. Nicholle Yu, CSOM ’16, further explained the mission of the magazine as a creative outlet.

“The overall mission of ASIAM is to provide an outlet for people to share their creative pieces,” Yu said. “Often many of our peers have a lot of talent that goes unexplored because of pressing concerns like school or work. This is just an environment that seeks to promote our other talents and share it with others.”

The reason for the five-year gap was unclear to Yu, but according to Lucilla Pan, editor-and-chief of ASIAM and A&S ’14, the idea to re-launch the magazine was proposed by Matthew Alonsozana, co-president of the Asian Caucus and A&S ’14, and she explored further.

“I read a lot of past volumes, and felt that there was still a need for this magazine in the community,” Pan said. “As a writer, I realize the importance of having environments to share my thoughts and expressions, and I wanted to bring that for my peers on campus.”

Pan also explained that the editorial board put a lot of effort into revamping the magazine after the final decision to re-launch it.

Jae Won Shin, poetry editor and A&S ’15, commented on the magazine’s importance to Asian American culture on campus.

“I think [ASIAM] is absolutely necessary because I don’t think Asian Americans express their thoughts through things like poetry enough,” Shin said. “Sometimes, we want to be discreet in talking about our thoughts and feelings … and by making a structured environment for the Asian community, and those who want to contribute who are not Asian, we can communicate more.”

Shin also mentioned that having a publication like this provides many opportunities for student writers, and opens up possibilities for the next generation of Asian American literature and journalism.

The editorial board instituted a number of changes for the new version of ASIAM. The most notable change of ASIAM is the online access. The magazine is now digitally formatted as opposed to the previous print versions.

“This allows us to have more say in the design and layout, as well as having the entire production in color,” Yu said.

However, the changes spread farther than the physical design of the magazine, as Yu commented that she hopes the editorial system will remain in place so that publication can continue.

“Our hope is that we can really get the community involved whether it is through submissions or reading the finished product,” Yu said. “As a rebirth, we intend that the infrastructure of the e-board, the process, and the magazine itself can continue on for years to come.”