BC Celebrates Collegiate EMS Week

Published: Monday, November 15, 2010

Last week, Eagle EMS celebrated National Collegiate EMS Week with a number of events, including a CPR tutorial.

The National Collegiate EMS Foundation (NCEMSF) was founded in 1993. NCEMSF is composed of about 246 agencies on college campuses throughout the United States and Canada, and works primarily to help establish systems for networking and information exchange between campus emergency responders.

Since 1997, Eagle EMS has provided emergency medical assistance to both students and visitors on BC's campus. The all-volunteer service has more than 150 members at BC, approximately 80 of whom are certified Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), said Christopher Faherty, Eagle EMS president and A&S '13.

Eagle EMS kicked off the week last Monday with CPR Day. The organization had a tent set up in O'Neill Plaza with information and basic CPR lessons for part of the day, Faherty said.

The group aimed to "make students aware of CPR at BC and to make them aware of Eagle EMS' presence on campus," he said.

Eagle EMS "followed up the week with tables in McElroy in the dining hall and by the Bookstore, and in Lower," Faherty said. He said that the tables were used to give out information and make students aware of how to get involved.

"It's a vital resource to our community," Faherty said of the EMS team. "Eagle EMS covers about 150 special events during the year."

"At events, such as football games, the EMS team is there to man the first aid station," said Dr. Thomas Nary, faculty advisor to Eagle EMS and director of Health Services. "They are very valuable and take a burden off the police."

Aside from assistance at major events, Eagle EMS helps to provide quick responses in emergency medical situations on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, Faherty said.

Nary said that his role as adviser is very minimal, and that he is there primarily to give advice and help with booking rooms. "The people we've had in Eagle EMS have been very self directive and thorough," Nary said.

"It's very positive for all students to see some students with particular expertise working in an extremely responsible setting," Nary said.

While many students didn't get their first taste of working in the emergency services until they arrived at BC, Faherty came into his freshman year knowing he wanted to continue working as an EMT.

"I've been in EMS for over four years," said Faherty, who was involved in EMT work before his arrival at BC. "When I came here as a freshman, I knew it had to be a part of my life here at BC."