BC Reminds Faculty To Report Crimes

Clery Act Encourages Full Faculty Disclosure

Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Last week, Joseph Herlihy, general counsel at Boston College, released a memo to advise and remind faculty and staff of the importance of reporting crimes that they are aware of on campus.

This notice comes as a reminder of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which requires all universities and colleges to collect data of crimes on or near their campuses and comprise an annual report. These crimes span anywhere from murder and sexual assault to theft and vandalism.

"The primary purpose of the Clery Act crime reports are to enable prospective students and their parents, as well as prospective employees, to make an informed decision when choosing to study or work at a given college or university," Herlihy said.

According to Security on Campus, Inc., Jeanne Clery, a Lehigh University student in the 1980s, was raped and murdered in her dorm room on her college campus.

The act was instituted in her honor when Clery's parents were informed after her brutal death that several violent crimes had occurred on or near her campus in the years prior.

These reports do not just act as a way to preserve the quality of student life at BC by working to make it safer. Disclosing information of this nature is a legal responsibility of faculty and staff at all universities and colleges, enforced by federal law and the U.S. Department of Education.

"My memo was distributed to BC personnel who have significant involvement in student life to remind them of their obligation to report crimes of which they become aware to the campus police," Herlihy said.

Faculty and staff who become aware of a crime from experiencing, witnessing, or being given reason to strongly believe foul play, are urged to contact the BCPD as soon as possible. The urgency of a timely report is to preserve an accurate recount of the crime.

Victims or witnesses of such crimes can pursue their own course of action through the BCPD if they so choose. However, these reports can stay confidential if the victim requests, and can be filed even if there is no intention of instituting criminal or disciplinary measures.

The reports' main objective is to inform the patrons of BC, and to continue to make the campus safer.

Herlihy also suggests that these reports will implicitly help the BCPD to make more well-informed decisions when it comes to things like what areas on campus need more attention and what crimes are more common on or near campus.

Faculty, staff, and students who are aware of any crimes that have occured are encouraged to contact the BCPD.