BC Student Arrested For Arsons

News Editor

Published: Monday, December 9, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 9, 2013 05:12

Boston College student Pengliang Yue, A&S ’15, was arrested in late November after confessing to setting fires in Gasson and Stokes halls on Nov. 9. After an investigation into the fires, BCPD made the arrest on the night of Tuesday, Nov. 26, and the University confirmed the arrest the next day.

Yue was arraigned in Newton District Court on Nov. 27 on one count of arson, three counts of attempted arson, four counts of malicious destruction of property, and one count of disorderly conduct. He was also issued a summary suspension from the University.

According to a report from The Boston Globe, Yue pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was released on $2,500 bail and is scheduled to return to Newton District Court on Dec. 30. As the suspension is still in effect, Yue remains barred from BC’s campus.

The fires, which were set on the night of Saturday, Nov. 9, led to a small mark on the second floor of Gasson, as well as much more extensive damage in Stokes. Cubicles on the fourth floor had to be replaced, books were damaged by the soot and smoke, and the second and third floors of the building suffered water damage from the sprinklers.

After a final vacuuming and cleaning, offices and classrooms in Stokes resumed normal operations the week of Nov. 18.

Heights Editor Austin Tedesco contributed to this report.