BCTV Brings Campus News To Eagles Around The World

One Year In, The Student TV Station Continues To Grow

Published: Sunday, January 29, 2012

This Valentine's Day marks the one-year anniversary of Boston College Television (BCTV). The television station launched last February and has since made big strides in the BC entertainment industry. BCTV can be found on Channel 50 throughout the day as well as 24/7 on bostoncollegetv.com. The network hosts five main shows: news, entertainment, sports, comedy, and campus clips. Katie Tusch, producer of BCTV and A&S '13, has big hopes for the shows.

"The network is narrowed in to the Boston College community," Tusch said. "Everything is student-run. We have producers for each show, students are editing each show, and students come up with the graphics … we have put a lot of hours into the shows. It's a lot of work, but it's a lot of fun."

Originally known as Now You Know, the show was five minutes long and run by twenty students. Now You Know featured short clips of BC news, entertainment, and sports. The show aired on Channel 50 at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

"It only played a couple times a week and people would miss it if they were at dinner or out doing something," Tusch said. "While we were still Now You Know, Sean Casey joined and created the idea for Boston College Television."

In the summer of 2010, BCTV was created by Sean Casey, executive producer and A&S '12. The network launched in the spring of 2011 and now features five major shows. The news show, known as The Eagle Eye, covers events on campus and major global news. The entertainment show, The Dish, highlights celebrity gossip and features opinions from the Quad. The Talon, BCTV's sports show, covers major BC sporting events and features locker room interviews, post-game commentaries and sports debates. BCTV network also features The Showcase and Open Mic. The Showcase covers the BC film festivals and features student filmmaking. Open Mic is BCTV's comedy show. The program includes coverage of campus comedy clubs and BCTV original comedy shows.

Since its startup in 2011, BCTV has developed into a full-blown television network. The station has viewers in several different countries. Students studying abroad turn to BCTV to catch up on BC news, exchange students watch BC updates, and alumni keep in touch with their college.

"We decided to market [online viewing]," Tusch said. "Nowadays I watch all my TV shows on Hulu as opposed to on television. We felt that it would be really good to market the online show."

Tusch and her coworker, Michael Fogarasi, producer and editor and A&S '14, say the network is a great way for students  interested in the entertainment industry to gain relevant experience.

"BCTV is a way for kids to get hands-on experience," Fogarassi said. "I'm always passionate about making sure everyone who wants the opportunity gets the opportunity to do something, because anyone who joins this club can do that."

With hopes for a larger audience in the coming months, Tusch is confident that BC students will turn to BCTV for college news coverage.

"My biggest hope for the upcoming semester is for people to continue to watch," Tusch said. "I really want people to see the hard work that we've put into it. This show has changed so much since we started as Now You Know, and I want people to really learn what's going on in campus from us. When people ask ‘Why should I watch BCTV?' It's because we're about the Boston College community, we're about your fellow Eagles, and this is the place where you can tune in and get that information."

This coming month, BCTV will be covering the UGBC elections. Stay tuned for in-depth coverage of the elections and featured interviews of the candidates.

1 comments