Boston College Celebrates its First Native American Heritage Month

The Society of Native American People, A Relatively New Campus Group, Excitedly Marks its First Year

Published: Sunday, November 6, 2011

erhgswfehtngfghfggraham

Graham Beck / Heights Staff

Friday marked the first celebration of Native American Heritage Month at Boston College.

The opening celebration, which took place in the Heights Function Room, featured performances from the group The Wolf Cry Singers and vendors selling traditional Native American jewelry and other crafts.

Native American Heritage Month is a nationally recognized event, but is new at Boston College. The Society of Native American People (SNAP) has been working to have Native American Heritage month marked at BC for a few years.

"I guess it was just a matter of time. Hopefully we'll get awareness out and keep it going in the future," said Andy Petigny, the associate director of AHANA student programs. According to Petigny, celebrations of Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, and other cultures have been at the University for several years.

"We're really excited," said Amelia Scott, president of SNAP and A&S '13. "We're relatively new, and that makes having this month even more exciting."

There are more events planned for the rest of Native American Heritage Month. Today, the Annual Dream Catcher Workshop will be held in the Walsh Function Room at 9 p.m. This event, which has been occurring for the last three years, is an opportunity for students to make their own dream catchers.

On Nov. 16, there will be a screening of the film We Still Live Here, a documentary about the return of the Wampanoag language. The writer and director will also be present at the event to have a question and answer session with students.

Finally, there will be a collaboration between SNAP and the Chinese and South Asian Student Associations on Nov. 28, called "So You Think You Can Cook?" This event is a cooking competition between the three cultural groups, and will be judged by a non-partial party, with sampling available to students.

SNAP is a fairly new cultural group on the BC campus. It was founded in the 2003-2004 academic year. They have been working to spread awareness, and have finally managed to have Native American Heritage Month celebrated at BC.

"It's a really great opportunity, because most students don't know about SNAP," Scott said. "Native American culture is just as relevant as other culture groups, and we want to get to be more well known."