Boston College Students Selected As Leaders For Foreign Relations Programs

Students Chosen To Be International Ambassadors For Ireland And Australia

Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Two Boston College students, Brielle Saracini and Leigh Maniscalco, have been chosen as leaders in two separate foreign exchange programs. Both students, who completed semesters abroad, will represent foreign relations programs for the 2011-2012 academic year, promoting study in other countries for American students.

Brielle Saracini, LSOE '13, was selected to be a United States student ambassador for Education in Ireland, a program initiated by the Irish government to promote higher education in the country.

Saracini, who studied human development and communications at the University College of Dublin in Ireland, is representing approximately 7,000 students from the U.S. who study abroad in Ireland each year.

The U.S. Student Ambassador program connects students in America to those who are studying in Ireland. As one of her duties as student ambassador, Saracini will share her experiences via blogging, Facebook, and Twitter through the spring of 2012.

Education in Ireland has been absolutely wonderful," Saracini said. "It is an extremely helpful and accommodating organization that promotes higher education in Ireland. I thoroughly enjoy working with this team. I help play a role in promoting higher education in Ireland by blogging about my experience, offering advice, and addressing any concerns that study abroad students or full-time Irish students may have."

The Education in Ireland program incorporates seven Irish universities with a goal to promote higher education in Ireland.

Traditionally, the majority of American students who choose to study in Ireland do so for only one semester. An increasing number of American students, however, are deciding to complete their undergraduate or graduate education while at Irish universities.

Saracini highly recommends that students with the means take the opportunity to spend time at a foreign school.

"I think that studying abroad was the best decision that I have ever made," Saracini said. "If a student has the time, availability, and resources to study abroad, I think that it would be a huge mistake not to jump at the occasion. The world has so much to offer, and I personally do not intend to waste one minute or opportunity."

Leigh Maniscalco, A&S '12, was selected as a student ambassador through the Australian Embassy in Washington, D.C. These students, a mixture of Australians studying abroad in North America and American and  Canadian students who have studied in Australia, are given training in public speaking, leadership, and management in order to promote higher study in Australia.

Maniscalco, who could not be reached for comment, studied at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.

"I had heard so many great things about the beauty, the friendly people, and the ‘chill' lifestyle of Australia before I went, and all of it turned out to be completely true, leading to the best experience of my life," she posted on the program's website.

"I think it will help in all my future endeavors because it has given me life experience, confidence, and simply a new outlook on life."