BSF Hosts Black Family Weekend

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2012

BFW

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

From Thursday, April 12 to Sunday, April 15, the Black Student Forum celebrated the 40th annual Black Family Weekend. The forum honored the weekend’s legacy under the theme Black Excellence: Reclaiming, Redefining, Renewing.

This year’s Black Family Weekend featured nine events that highlighted the political, educational, and social aspects of the Black community.

Black Family Weekend is celebrated yearly on the Boston College campus to “promote cultural growth and unity, encourage high scholastic standards, provide service and advocacy for the Black community, and to showcase various elements of the Black Diaspora at Boston College,” according to the Black Student Forum website.

On Thursday, the celebration was kicked off with an AHANA Showcase. The event featured Def Jam Poet, Shihan, a dynamic spoken word artist and the winner of the National Poetry Slam Competition in 2004 and a National Poetry finalist in 2001, 2003 and 2005.

On Friday afternoon, the Black Student Forum held an opening celebration in Corcoran Commons Plaza. Later that night, the “Reclaiming the Black Community through Blogging” panel discussion was presented, featuring Marc Lamont Hill, author and host of the television show Our World with Black Enterprise. A Black Student Forum Alumni Mixer was held later that evening in the Higgins Atrium.

On Saturday, the Black Student Forum held a students versus alumni basketball game in the Plex and later presented “Celebration of Song: a Voices of Imani Concert” in the Trinity Chapel.

On Saturday evening, Susan Taylor, current editor-in-chief of Essence Magazine, spoke at the Black Excellence Gala in the Murray Function Room.

To conclude the weekend, the Dr. Donald Brown Luncheon was then held in the Faculty Dining Room at 2 p.m.

Brown, former director of the Office of AHANA Student Programs (OASP) from 1979 to 2005, established the Thea Bowman Scholars Program and the Benjamin Elijah Mays Mentoring Program.

In tribute to his achievements, the Dr. Donald Brown Award is awarded to a senior that has made contributions to the AHANA community through leadership, service, and academic development.