Campus Loses Two Students Over Summer

Assoc. News Editor

Published: Thursday, September 8, 2011

While the start of a new year leaves the campus seeming fuller than ever, the Boston College community begins this semester two members short. Kristine Topel, A&S '12, and Toochukwu "Tony" Nwokedi, '13, who both passed away during the summer vacation, are mourned by both their home and school communities.

Topel, of Deerfield, IL, was killed in the early hours of June 14 in her native Illinois after being struck by a train. The Chicago Tribune reported that the conductor noticed something on the tracks but was unable to stop in time. At BC, Topel was a biology major and was involved in 4Boston, to which her family requested donations in her memory.

Nwokedi, who was reported missing on July 16, was found dead in the Allegheny River on July 19 near his Oil City, Pa. home. The 21-year-old's cause of death was related to a medical condition. Nwokedi, a native of Nigeria, was a transfer student at BC and had taken a leave of absence during last fall semester. He planned to return to BC in the fall to pursue a degree in political science.

"The University community was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of two BC students this summer," said University Spokesperson Jack Dunn. "At the time of their deaths, University administrators personally extended condolences to the families of Kristine Topel and Tony Nwokedi on behalf of BC students, faculty, and staff. We ask that all students who knew Kristine and Tony remember them in their intentions, and pray for their families who are struggling with the loss."