Campus Mourns Death of Michael Racanelli, A&S ’14

News Editor

Published: Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Michael Racanelli, a 20-year-old sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences from Brightwaters, NY, was found dead in his off-campus apartment on Foster Street in Brighton on Monday.

A cause of death has not yet been reported by the Medical Examiner's Office. Boston Police have ruled out foul play.

In a letter to the Boston College community, Patrick Rombalski, vice president of Student Affairs, said, "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Michael's family and his many friends." He offered condolences to Michael's parents, Michael V. Racanelli, BC '84, and Barbara Racanelli; brother Matthew, A&S '15; sisters Lexie and Carly; and his cousins Anthony Racanelli, CSOM '15, and Nicholas Racanelli, CSOM '13, and his extended family.

"I know you and all members of our community join me in extending our thoughts and prayers to all members of the Racanelli family during this difficult time," he said.

Rev. Jack Butler, S.J., vice president for University Mission and Ministry, said, "At BC, we are a family, and the death of one of ours is always painful and sad. However, the love and support found within our community is the very sign of God and the source of our comfort."

Rombalski encouraged BC students to take advantage of various campus resources, including the offices of Counseling Services, Campus Ministry, and Residential Life. Members of the Student Affairs and Campus Ministry staff have reached out to Racanelli's roommates, friends and fellow lacrosse players. They also visited residence halls the evening of Nov. 14 to be available for students. Services for Racanelli will be held in his hometown on Long Island. His wake will be held today, Nov. 17, from 7 to 9:30 p.m. and Friday, Nov. 18, from 2 to 4:30 p.m., and 7 to 9:30 p.m. at the Fredrick J. Chapey & Sons Funeral Home, located at 200 East Islip, NY.

Racanelli's funeral Mass will be held on Saturday, Nov. 19, at 10 a.m. at St. Patrick's Church, Bay Shore, Long Island, NY.

The University will provide transportation for students who would like to attend Racanelli's wake today. Buses will be available in front of St. Ignatius Church today at 11:30 a.m. If students plan on attending, they are asked to e-mail askvpsa@bc.edu with their name to confirm their reservation by 10 a.m. today. Lunch and dinner will be provided on the bus.

If students are unable to attend, expressions of sympathy can be sent to the Racanelli Family at 255 Lakeview Ave. West, Brightwaters, Long Island, NY.

Editor's note: The University officially lists Racanelli A&S '14 because he missed class due to illness.