Campus to Celebrate Int’l Education

Nov. 14-18 Dedicated to International Ed.

Published: Wednesday, November 2, 2011

International Education Week, a campus-wide enterprise devoted to anything and everything regarding global education and the perspectives that come with it, begins next Monday, Nov. 14, and runs through the 18.

An initiative coordinated by the Office of International Students and Scholars, International Education Week will showcase more than 30 different events varying in perspective and presentation from academic lectures to cultural events. All events are free and will include a special dining night at Lower, McElroy, and Stuart Dining Halls, a lecture on the view of the United States from abroad, and an international trivia night.

Coordinators and planners of International Education Week said the goal is to raise the awareness of the greater Boston College community to international education by putting on public display the diversity of global views, cultures, and people that are represented on campus.

"I think why people are excited about this is because there is a lot happening at BC in terms of international education but it tends to be very isolated by school or discipline and department … this is the one occasion during the year where you can really see the depth and breadth of everything international happening at BC in one week," said Adrienne Nussbaum, director of the Office of International Students and Scholars.

This year's International Education Week has drawn the broadest group of cosponsors ever, a fact representative of BC's growing international population. Currently there are 1,037 international students at BC, 507 of who are undergraduates, representing 86 countries from around the world. The reasons each student decided to attend BC is as diverse as the students who form BC's international community.

"I decided to come here for different reasons," said Scott Masek, A&S '13, in an e-mail. "Firstly, I didn't want to study back home in France because the system doesn't promote self expansion or expression. The methods are tough and rigorous but to no real avail as you gain just as much from studying here. I didn't want to study in the UK either because you apply for a single course which means if you aren't happy with it you have to re-apply and pick another course which you may not like either. The U.S. offered a broader range of things to study with a more flexible model aimed to help guide and ease students in their goals."

Masek is not the only international student who sees the U.S. as a land for better higher education opportunities.

"From my country [China], higher education is still in its baby settings. Few of the universities are well enough to attend. Moreover the population in my country is overwhelming which increases the difficulty to achieve a better education there," said Danjing Li, A&S '15.

Li said the fact that BC has a good reputation in China and that it was located in Boston, a city well known for its academics, helped her decide to attend BC.

Nussbaum, a strong believer in the necessity of international awareness and knowledge for all academic disciplines, said that she hopes that all students, faculty, and staff feel welcome and encouraged to attend many International Education Week events.

"We're hoping that not just people who are international studies majors or study abroad [students] are going, but [that it] really attracts students, faculty, and staff from throughout the entire University … there's something on economics, there's something on nursing, there's something on education, there's something on social work, there's something on law, so it really covers all the variety of different disciplines and also cultures," Nussbaum said.