Class Creates Campaign For Honda

Published: Sunday, April 1, 2012

Students in professor Maria Sannella’s Marketing Principles class are gearing up for the final stages of their 2012 Honda Civic Coupe Marketing Campaign. Honda and EdVenture created the competition in hopes of giving students the opportunity to gain real-world experience in the marketing industry.

At the beginning of this semester, Sannella’s students created a working marketing group called the Heights Marketing Group, to design and implement a marketing campaign for the 2012 Honda Civic Coupe. Heights Marketing Group will represent Boston College as one of 20 schools that were selected to participate in the competition. Groups will compete to create the best marketing campaign for the 2012 Honda Civic Coupe, with three finalists traveling to meet with executives at Honda headquarters in California. Each school is given a $3,000 budget to use on various events, advertising, and product promotion. If Heights Marketing Group wins the competition, BC will be awarded a certain amount of money to be used by the school.

Heights Marketing Group is divided into six groups: Research, Finance, Public Relations, Advertising, Campaign Strategy & Implementation, and Reports & Presentations. In addition to these groups, there are two student coordinators who guide the class in the campaign. Each group also has one or two leaders, who meet with each other about once per week to make sure all of the groups are working in sync.

“The way the class is split up into the separate groups with a group leader has separated the work and made it easy to stay organized and all on the same page,” said Dru Burns, public relations leader and CSOM ’13.

The project demands work on a daily basis, whether it is contacting a group member, working on a presentation, or writing a press release. At the same time, students agree that the work is rewarding and will have many real-world applications.

“Even though this project has been a lot of work, it never felt that way because of how much fun it has been,” Burns said. “The work is very practical and feels more like a job than school work.”

The ultimate goal of the Heights Marketing Group’s campaign is to raise awareness and purchase consideration among the Generation Y market for the 2012 Honda Civic Coupe.

In order to do so, the Heights Marketing Group will be hosting the all-day event Hondapalooza on April 3 in O’Neill Plaza. This event is a feature of their marketing campaign and will have interactive booths ranging from games to technology. A 2012 Honda Civic Coupe will also be displayed.