Concert Raises $1,200

Performers Collaborate To Fundraise For Victims Of Typhoon Haiyan

Published: Monday, November 25, 2013

Updated: Monday, November 25, 2013 00:11

concert

Alex Gaynor / Heights Editor

It was hard to find an empty seat last Thursday at the Philippine Typhoon Recovery Charity Concert, which took place in the Rat.

The concert was hosted by UGBC, RHA, and the Philippine Society of Boston College, and sound was managed by the BC Music Guild. These groups joined in an effort to raise money for victims in the Philippines, who are suffering in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. The event succeeded in raising over $1,200, all of which will be donated to Catholic Relief Services and will go toward helping the typhoon victims.

The concert featured 16 student performers and performance groups who volunteered to take part in the charity event. Among those performing were the Heightsmen of BC, BC Masti, Uprising Dance Crew, and Sexual Chocolate.

The concert began with Isabella Rosales, CSON ’17, who sang the national anthem, followed by acoustic performances by Jammin Toast; Terry Peng, A&S ’14; Thomas Harpole, A&S ’14; Mike Lapointe, CSOM ’14; and Amanda Adams, A&S ’16.

The songs performed were diverse, ranging from peaceful, inspirational pieces to upbeat, pop tunes. Peng and Harpole sang an old, Southern gospel song as well as a song they wrote themselves.

Caroline Portu, A&S ’16, sang and played songs on the keyboard, including Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” and a song she composed herself.  
William Bolton, CSOM ’16, whose stage name is Times New Roman, performed his own music, playing electric guitar with beats he arranged.

Dance groups like the dance troupe Masti and the hip-hop team UPrising provided great energy to the concert with their fast choreography and upbeat music. Sexual Chocolate, BC’s all-male step team, also added to the spirited atmosphere.

Performances by Liturgy Arts Group and the a cappella group Against the Current featured spiritual ballads and songs that emphasized the importance of faith and trust in God in overcoming hardship.

The concert event was the idea of Tadala Jumbe, A&S ’14, who won best singer/songwriter at the 2013 BC’s Best competition, and also performed at the concert.  
James Gallo, a member of RHA and CSOM ’14, volunteered to organize the event immediately upon hearing the idea. Although they didn’t have their first performer until a week before the event, the acts all came together in the end, and the concert turned out to be a success.

“The performers were great,” said Marilyn Cheong, A&S ’17. “It’s wonderful to see all the people who’ve come out to support the cause and enjoy these acts.”
“I was especially surprised to see some of my classmates performing,” Cheong said. “I had no idea they were involved in singing and dancing groups.”
“We don’t really take the time to think about the people it affects,” Jumbe said, before picking up her guitar to sing. Jumbe sang an inspirational song she remembered from her church in Atlanta, which spoke of people joining together to heal the world’s nations.

“There is a devastation that can’t be fixed with money,” Jumbe said. Raising funds for the victims is crucial to helping them survive through this crisis. There is something extremely powerful about people coming together through music during tough times that is crucial to restoring the human spirit, she said.

Matt Alonsozana, executive vice president of UGBC and A&S ’14, is a Filipino-American whose family was affected by the typhoon.

“The typhoon hit the middle part of the country,” Alonsozana said, “one of the most beautiful places on earth.”
“However, the most beautiful thing about the Philippines isn’t its physical features, but its people."