Conte Forum to Host Ice Jam

Asst. News Editor

Published: Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Boston College athletics department, together with the Undergraduate Government of BC (UGBC), has announced plans for the inaugural Ice Jam, a hockey and basketball pep rally, to be held in Conte Forum on Oct. 26.

Both the men's and women's basketball teams, and the men's and women's ice hockey teams, will be participating in this unique event.

Many colleges throughout the country have what is known as "Midnight Madness" the night before their basketball team begins practicing for the season.

Ice Jam will be an opportunity to introduce the players and coaches, and generate excitement for the teams.

"It's been an idea we've been working on for a long time," said Justin Robinson, executive manager of campus entertainment for the UGBC and CSOM '11. "The new coaching staff gave us permission to do a Midnight Madness-type event."

"Every school in the country has Midnight Madness, and now we have a unique opportunity to do this for a national championship hockey team and the basketball team," he said.

In preparation for the event, Conte Forum will be transformed. One half of the arena will be ice, and the other half will be set up as a basketball court. "It's been a dream of the athletic department's to have a half ice, half court set up in Conte," Robinson said.

Popular sports commentator Bob Costas will be the "celebrity emcee," and will lead the teams through contests, while interacting with the fans. As far as securing Bob Costas for the event, Robinson said, "His daughter goes to BC, and Gene DeFilippo talked to him."

Men's basketball coach Steve Donahue and men's hockey coach Jerry York are both in support of Ice Jam, Robinson said. "Coach Donahue and Coach York have both agreed to do this thing. Their role has been the willingness to allow us to do this."

"The creative process is coming from [the UGBC], but we've been talking to athletes about what they want to do, as well," Robinson said. "It's been a collaboration of the UGBC, the athletes, and the athletic department."

"We're hoping for the buzz on campus to be there," Robinson said. "We're looking for national attention."

Ice Jam will be open to the general public and admission will be free. "The event is on a Tuesday night, so everyone can come, not only from BC, but residents from the surrounding area, also."

Coinciding with the event, a new lighting and shade system, allowing Conte Forum lights to be turned off and on in a matter of seconds, will be unveiled.