CSOM Offers Unique New Minors

The Carroll School of Management (CSOM) has recently developed a new minor, offered specifically to non-business majors in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S). The minor is in Management and Leadership, with a concentration on the behavioral aspects of managing. This minor differs from other majors in CSOM because it does not require courses typically taken by business majors, such as accounting and finance.

The minor requires an application, and is completed by finishing six Management and Leadership classes, four of which are electives. The classes vary from Organizational Behavior to Human Resources and Managing Diversity, specifically emphasizing managing people. The Management and Leadership minor is intended to prepare students who are interested in pursuing management careers but are not enrolled in CSOM. The goal is to prepare and instruct students on effective leadership, identifying and strengthening leadership skills many Boston College students may already possess.

"A lot of students in A&S end up in management, so the minor is a way of giving them some of the skills and knowledge they'll need in future careers," said Judith Gordon, chairperson of the Management and Organization department. Gordon also said that more and more students approach CSOM departments about taking business courses, and this minor provides a concrete catalog for A&S students.

The basis behind the minor is to create opportunities for students throughout the University. "I'm pleased that Arts and Sciences students will now have an opportunity to pursue [this minor]," said David Quigley, dean of A&S. "This program is designed to appeal to a range of A&S students and to provide a rigorous education in the critical topic of leadership."

"This is the first time we're putting [the schools] together in a way that is reasonable and exciting," Gordon said. She also mentioned that in years to come, there may be more openings of minors for A&S students to explore in CSOM.

Gordon anticipates a number of applicants, since the interest in A&S crossover with CSOM has been so popularly requested in the past. "We reached out to a number of majors, including the social sciences and communications," Gordon said. She expects there to be interest across all the majors at some point, if not in this minor, then in ones that might come eventually. "We are starting slowly," she said.

The creation of this new minor is expected to also appeal to prospective students, who will now be given the chance to combine the two most popular schools in BC's academic life. The enthusiasm from both schools behind the program is an encouraging sign that the individual needs of students are being addressed and accommodated. Gordon also commented that the program will attempt to accept as many students into the minor as there is capacity for, depending on the applicant pool. It is noted on the application that preference will be given to sophomores and juniors.

The deadline for admission into the fall 2012 program is Feb. 15 and for the spring 2013 program, the deadline is Oct. 15, 2012. Applications are due to Fulton 430. Students will be notified shortly thereafter about acceptance.