Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

‘Exploding’ Laptop Fire Empties Library

News Editor

Published: Thursday, October 14, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 18:01

Exploding Laptop

Kevin Hou / Heights Editor

 

Firefighters responded yesterday afternoon to a fire alarm in O'Neill Library that cleared the library, causing dozens of students to spill into O'Neill Plaza. The cause of the fire was determined to be a laptop that combusted suddenly. 
 
"I was sitting in the main room [third floor] of O'Neill Library by the stacks and I was sitting with some friends, and then my laptop started smoking," said Kevin Howard, CSOM '11.
 
Howard said that a small "explosion" from the laptop followed the smoking, followed by more smoke and combustion from what appeared to be his Dell's battery. 
 
"That's when we all got up and left," he said. 
 
After a five minute check of the building and the removal of the smoking laptop, firefighters allowed students to return to O'Neill Library. 
 
No injuries were reported in the incident. 
 
Howard said that he bought his laptop through BC's laptop purchasing program. "I feel like I have some leverage here to ask for a new computer," he said.  n

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!





log out