Heading Into Winter Break, Stokes Construction On Time

New Academic Building Set to Open in January

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Construction on Stokes Hall, the first new academic building on Boston College’s Middle Campus since 2001, is continuing on schedule as the Fall semester comes to a close.

According to Associate Vice President of Capital Projects Management Mary Nardone, furnishings have already been installed, meeting the November deadline. Final landscaping, which involves planting bushes around the base of the building and finishing the amphitheater behind the building, is in progress. The fences around the grassy area have been removed, and the newly opened walkway is already seeing significant foot traffic.

“We’ve been fortunate with the recent weather, so the landscaping is in good shape,” Nardone said in an email. “Inside the building, before opening for the Spring semester, we still have Audio Visual installations underway, the startup of the coffee bar, and of course the faculty moves.”
Construction on Stokes, which is named after BC alumnus and trustee Patrick T. Stokes, broke ground on Oct. 4, 2010, and Executive Vice President Patrick J. Keating said in an email that a dedication ceremony would most likely take place next June.

The building offers numerous naming opportunities for alumni and supporters of the University. For $100,000 or more, donators can name a 20-student classroom, a seminar room, or a faculty or department chair office. A donation of $1 million or more warrants the naming rights for the Honors Library, the Function Room, larger classrooms—including the performance and lecture halls—or the garden beneath the Link passageway, which connects the North and South wings of the building. Contributions of $5 million or more allow the donator to name the Stokes Hall Commons, the lawn next to College Road, the Link passageway itself, or the new Campus Green.

Vice President for Development and Campaign Director Thomas Lockerby said that his office would keep the names and donation amounts private until the dedication ceremony next summer. “We have been gratified to have both the tremendous support of the Stokes Family as well as significant gifts from several BC alumni and BC parents,” Lockerby said.

Nardone estimated that by the time the building opens in January, over 260,000 hours of labor will have gone into its construction. Continuing BC’s commitment to sustainability, Stokes will be a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certified building, and the University intends to seek a higher rating when possible.

“All construction projects have surprises and setbacks, so this one has been no different,” Nardone said. “Given the two-year duration of this project, we’ve had more time to encounter more surprises, but also more time to juggle things to deal with them.”
Keating agreed with the statement. “There are always challenges in construction projects, especially ones of this scale, but we are finishing the building and opening it on schedule—in the end that is what really matters,” he said. “The whole team is very happy with the result and the schedule.”