Hockey Tickekts Offered at Discount Rate

Athletics Department Releases 200 Discounted Tickets for NCAA Tournament

News Editor

Published: Thursday, March 25, 2010

The athletics department will be offering 200 discounted student tickets for the NCAA hockey tournament this weekend in Worcester, Mass. The tickets, which will be distributed via a lottery system, will cost $35 instead of $85.

The University will also be providing bus transportation to and from Worcester for the two-day tournament.

The buses will run on a schedule over the weekend, transporting students before and after the tournament and in between games.

Gene DeFilippo, director of the athletics department, said that the $85 ticket price is determined by the NCAA, and that the University has no say in setting the price.

It does, however, have the choice of offering student tickets subsidized by the University. "We decided that we would take the hit," DeFilippo said. "For the tickets, for the bus transportation there and back to the game. We have to pay the $50 for students."

The athletics department will be releasing approximately one-third of available tickets to students at this discounted price. Athletics took game attendance for season ticket holders into account when distributing the 200 tickets. "We try to make sure we get our hockey supporters taken care of first," said James O'Neill, associate athletic director for ticket operations. The remaining tickets will be distributed, taking into account athletic department supporters and donors, he said.

In response to student concern over the $85 ticket price, O'Neill said that the University is subject to the event prices set by the venue. "The same thing is true when we go to the Frozen Four. The same thing is true when we go to the Beanpot," he said. "I think it's important to emphasize that tickets at events held outside BC are not determined by us."

Jamie DiLoretto, director of external relations for the athletics department, said that the department's expenses on this initiative are estimated at $10,000, depending on the number of students in the lottery.

As of noon yesterday, there were just over 100 students entered in the ticket lottery, O'Neill said. The athletics department accepted entries until 6 p.m.

Al Dea, president of the Undergraduate Government of Boston College (UGBC) and CSOM '10, said that he met with DeFilippo immediately after BC's advancement to the tournament was announced on Sunday.

"Our concern was for students who wanted to go to the game and making it easy for those who wanted to do so," Dea said.

1 comments