Hoops For Hope Raises Money For Jimmy V

Seventh Annual 3-on-3 Charity Basketball Tournament Earns Over $10,000 For Cancer

Published: Sunday, December 4, 2011

On Saturday, Dec. 3, the Boston College Hoops for Hope Committee hosted its annual basketball tournament at the Plex. The proceeds of the event went to the Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research.

The Hoops for Hope 3-on-3 basketball tournament for charity was inaugurated on Feb. 14, 2004. The tournament was founded by Haven Perkins, a former member of the BC football team. The initial event raised thousands of dollars for the Jimmy V Foundation, and has been growing every year since.

This year's tournament featured 21 teams: seven in the men's bracket, seven in the women's bracket, and seven in the co-ed bracket. These three-man teams played from 9 a.m. until the championship round at 2 p.m. The players called their own fouls, but the score was kept by members of the BC Hoops for Hope Committee.

This year's tournament marked an increase in both player participation and donations.

"This tournament has raised more money each year since it started," said Kyle Saunders, president of the BC Hoops for Hope Committee and A&S '12. "Last year we raised over $10,000, and this year we're on pace to beat that. There are years with only two or three women's teams, and this year we have seven. The men's bracket also has a lot of talent."

The members of each bracket's winning team were able to sele-ct from a variety of prizes, including Boston Celtics tickets, a football signed by Eli Manning, and an assortment of BC clothing from the bookstore. Another major contributor was 47 brand, who donated BC baseball caps.

"47 brand has always been great at helping us out," Saunders said.

Each team is required to donate $120 to play, but teams are encouraged to donate more. "Some teams go way above that and donate throughout the semester," he said.

Some people go above and beyond this figure as well. This year's top donator was Maggie Kelly, BC Hoops for Hope committee member and LSOE '13. Her older sister Kaitlin Kelly, BC '11 was a former BC Hoops for Hope committee member who was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in April 2010. She beat this cancer and went into remission after treatment at New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City over the summer of 2010 but was recently diagnosed with the same cancer again this past year.

"Watching her go through everything has made me get really involved with the cause," Kelly said. "It's important for me to raise money because I'm so involved with this cause."

As the top donator, Kelly went home with a golf hat signed by Tiger Woods.

The BC Hoops for Hope Committee is composed of 28 members who spend all semester planning the tournament. Committee members say this year's planning went very well.

"This is a great group of kids who are a lot of fun to work with," Saunders said. "It is a really rewarding way to have a really fun event."

BC students showed their sense of humor, athleticism, and class on Saturday. "Our goal is, through basketball, to raise money for cancer research and have a great time," said Maegan O'Rourke, Senior BC Hoops for Hope Committee member and A&S '12.

The committee and all players fully understand this goal. Teams like "Tune Squad," "Prestige Worldwide," and "Da Business," had a great time while competing at a high level and raising money for a very serious cause.  

"I always admire how everything goes on as planned," Saunders said. "We've never had a fight, though these are all very athletic, competitive kids. This speaks to the level of sportsmanship of kids at BC."