ICBC Hosts World Fiesta Day

News Editor

Published: Wednesday, April 27, 2011

On Thursday, April 14, the International Club of Boston College (ICBC) hosted the annual World Fiesta Day in O'Neill Plaza. Fifteen culture clubs and various vendors showcased traditional foods, music, and wares.

Patricia Lopez, president of the ICBC and CSOM '11 said that the purpose of World Fiesta is to promote BC's international and multicultural character, and to bring about cross-cultural awareness. "The ability to accept and appreciate world differences is an essential quality in today's world," she said. "It is our duty to take advantage of this valuable asset we have on campus, and try to make it available to all Boston College students, graduate or undergraduate. To this end, we organize it as a campus wide event rather than as a single organization project. It is a forum for people from all backgrounds to celebrate the richness of our multicultural world."

World Fiesta Day is an annual event that has been hosted by a variety of BC offices over the years. This year's installment was the first time it was under the responsibility of a student organization. The ICBC held the event with sponsorships from the Office of International Students and Scholars, AHANA Student Services, and the Graduate International Student Association.

"Many culture clubs participated on that day to keep the environment festive and diverse," Lopez said. "Alongside the culture clubs, as well as the performances by Synergy, Madrigal Singers, and Against the Current, ICBC drew a large crowd to enjoy the beautiful spring day at the Fiesta."