Marching Band Selected To Perform At Inauguration

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013 01:01

On Monday, Jan. 21, the Boston College “Screaming Eagles” Marching Band will perform at the Inaugural Parade for the second Inauguration of President of the United States Barack Obama. On Jan. 3, the Inauguration Committee announced the Screaming Eagles’ selection, along with a list of other groups from around the country selected to perform at the 57th Inaugural Parade. According to the inauguration website, more than 2,807 applications to participate in the parade were submitted, and the BC Marching Band was one of only 60 groups chosen to perform. The band is scheduled to depart for Washington, D.C., on Sunday, Jan. 20, and return the following Tuesday.

The BC Screaming Eagles Marching Band was founded in 1919 and today is one of the largest student organizations and performance groups on campus, with over 180 members. Aside from playing fight songs in Alumni Stadium or Conte Forum, the BC Marching Band has performed in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, as well as several bowl games. Most recently, the BC Marching Band has played the National Anthem for the Boston Red Sox and Boston Celtics, as well as accompanying the Dropkick Murphy’s on local stages like the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA and the House of Blues in Boston, and entertaining at the Heisman Memorial Trophy Dinner in New York City.

The Inaugural Parade is the second time the Screaming Eagles will perform for Obama. In September of 2005, the marching band performed for then-Senator Obama, when he delivered the Freshman Convocation keynote address.

David Healey, director of the BC Marching Band, noted that this was an incredible opportunity for the Screaming Eagles.

“The members of the Boston College Marching Band are tremendously honored and humbled by the opportunity to represent Boston College and the entire University community at the 57th Presidential Inaugural Parade,” Healey said. “This will be the BC Band’s first appearance [in the parade] and the most prestigious performance opportunity in the history of our program.”
Healey also commented that this honor is attributable to the exceptional amount of time and commitment the band displays.

“The Marching Band is exceptionally proud of the work of the band members,” Healey said. “These students devote over 200 hours of service to the University in a single semester—as much as a full course load—without any academic recognition or scholarship assistance.”
Healey finally expressed an extreme pride for the members of the band and noted that they are impressive musicians.

“They are remarkably talented, intelligent, and committed, and they serve as some of the University’s greatest ambassadors both on campus and throughout the United States,” Healey said. “We’re all very excited to travel to Washington this weekend, and we hope to see lots of Eagles fans along the parade route and throughout the city.”