Mayor-Elect Marty Walsh To Be Sworn In At Conte Forum

Published: Saturday, December 14, 2013

Updated: Saturday, December 14, 2013 14:12

fdass

AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

The inauguration of Boston Mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh will take place at Boston College, a statement from Walsh’s inauguration committee confirmed today. The 54th mayor of Boston will be sworn into office on Jan. 6 at 10 a.m. in Conte Forum, and the oath of office will be administered by Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Roderick J. Ireland.

Having earned a degree from BC in 2009 through night classes in the Woods College of Advancing Studies, Walsh’s return to his alma mater marks the first time a Boston mayor has ever been inaugurated at BC. Walsh attended classes during the last of his nine terms as a state representative, serving in the state legislature since 1997.

The event is free, but will be ticketed and restricted to the seating capacity of Conte. On-campus parking will also be free, but the planning committee for the event recommends using public transportation due to limited parking spaces.

Following the swearing-in ceremony, Walsh will host an inaugural celebration at the Hynes Convention Center, for which tickets will be sold for $35 through Ticketmaster.

Leading up to the inauguration, Walsh, 46, will spend Jan. 3 through 5 performing several publicity events throughout Boston. He will participate in volunteer service activities on Jan. 3; attend a youth summit for students in grades 6 through 9 at Roxbury Community College on Jan. 4; and attend a brunch for seniors at Northeastern University followed by an interfaith service ceremony at Old South Church on Jan. 5.

According to the press release from Walsh’s campaign committee, event participants are also encouraged to bring non-perishable food items or other related donations to help with a home heating initiative for low-income families.

Additional information on the inauguration will be released in the coming days through www.bostoninaugural2014.org.