myBC Consolidates Events

Office of Student Affairs Launches Streamlined Webpage

Published: Thursday, February 3, 2011

my bc consolidates

Cecilia Provvedini / Heights Editor

The Office of Student Affairs has announced the debut of a new student programming portal, myBC. The site, available at www.bc.edu/mybc, is available for the entire Boston College community to access starting today.

"MyBC is the new online portal for all activities and events outside the classroom," said Benjamin Hall, a graduate assistant in the student programs office. "It will allow the BC community the opportunity to find out the latest information about clubs, organizations, and events."

The portal provides information about student organizations and events on campus. It also offers internal organization management features for program officers. The portal has been in development since the beginning of the academic year.

"The site came from listening to student concerns," Hall said. "MyBC centralizes the student organization process. Previously information about clubs and events was posted in various locations, like the O'Neill stairs, and on various websites. Now, all student organization information will be in one central location. It also simplifies the internal operations of clubs, streamlining the process for purchase and payment orders, promotional activities, and booking rooms."

All registered student organizations have or will be receiving access to myBC to manage and promote their organization. As the site becomes more widely used by students, Hall said he expects the site to grow with even more information accessible to students, such as event photographs and program rosters.

The system also offers the ability to match a person with potential organizations and events of interest through the completion of an interest profile.

The portal was created by Collegient Link software and branded specifically for BC. Institutions such as Boston University, Duke, University of Virginia, and Villanova already use the Collegient Link platform to promote and manage student organizations.

"Matching the needs of student organizations and providing the latest information about life outside the classroom, we hope myBC will be a popular online portal for the student community," said Hall.

The Office of Student Affairs will reveal the product and answer student questions about the portal through several campus events, including tonight's spring student activities fair.