Offices At St. Thomas More Moved To New Brighton Campus Building

Published: Sunday, February 5, 2012

Offices 2/6/12

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

With the final touch-ups being made and the last of the new furniture being brought in, the newly renovated building at 2121 Commonwealth Avenue on the Brighton Campus is almost ready for the approximately 185 Boston College employees who will be moving in on Feb. 13. The new building will be the site of offices and conference rooms for University Advancement. One wing of the building is completely new, with two others being renovated in preparation for the move.

Currently, University Advancement, which works with BC alumni, is located in St. Thomas More Hall, across from St. Ignatius Church. One of the long-term goals of the relocation is to use the site of the old University Advancement offices at More Hall in order to construct a new student residence hall.

2121 Commonwealth Avenue was purchased from the Archdiocese of Boston in 2007 and had previously been a vacant building on the BC Brighton Campus. Built in the 1960s, the building had some safety issues that needed to be changed based on more current safety codes. The renovation will not only correct any health concerns, but also feature environmentally friendly changes such as energy efficient windows and new water conserving plumbing fixtures.

The new building features a more modern style than most of the academic buildings at BC. According to Steve Connors, the construction project manager, this is something different from the typical interior design of most of the buildings on campus. "There are not a whole lot of buildings at BC that look like this," Connors said.

The new wing and the two renovated wings consist of three floors and a basement level. These floors feature a main atrium and spaces for business offices and conference rooms. "The whole process with the design is quite lengthy," Connors said, "but the construction was just over a year."

This renovation is part of several construction projects being performed at BC, including the work being done on Stokes Hall and the renovation of 10 Stone Avenue. These projects are part of a mission at BC to continue to improve its academic excellence and foster an intellectual community, known as the Institutional Master Plan. BC adopted this plan in December of 2007 after several years of strategizing. This ten-year plan will cost approximately $1.6 billion in total, and consists of ideas for both moving BC into the 21st century and maintaining the history of the University.