Quality Issues Allayed, Chobani to Return Soon

Published: Thursday, September 22, 2011

hgfdghjhfgdfsdfg

Alex Trautwig / Heights Editor

Chobani, the popular Greek yogurt that was pulled from shelves of dining facilities last week, will be returning to campus by mid-week next week at the latest, administrators in Dining Services said. The yogurt was removed from dining halls after multiple customers returned unexpired yogurts with mold growing in the containers.

"We got a number of complaints and food safety is our number one concern, so we pulled it all while we went back to Chobani for answers," said Helen Wechsler, director of dining services. "By next week, Chobani will be back."

It is unclear whether the mold originated due to manufacturing errors or inadequate handling of the product during the distribution process. Dining Services has made adjustments in the hopes of preventing similar incidents in the future.

"We will be using a different distribution channel when Chobani returns, so we are hoping it improves our success," Wechsler said.

Chobani, a product of Agro Farma, is a highly popular national product that currently leads in sales in the booming Greek yogurt segment of the yogurt market. Consumers perceive Greek yogurt to be healthier than regular yogurt due to its thicker and creamier texture, as well as being higher in protein. Chobani has the same popularity with the Boston College market. Dining services sells over 10,000 cases a year through its dining hall and catering operations.

"It's a big seller for us, so we want it in the units as much as the students do," Wechsler said.

The yogurt also plays a key role in balancing BC product offerings.

"We do not categorize food as good or bad, but there is a balance," Wechsler said. "We want you to have choices in the dining hall that are balanced. We provide an array of healthy choices from clean food to products with fewer additives to fair trade. We provide options for students to balance their diets according to needs and wants. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the students think we are responsive."