Student Sociology Journal Celebrates Inaugural Issue

Published: Monday, February 8, 2010

With the click of a button, John Skinner, A&S '10, and Stafford Oliver, A&S '10, officially unveiled the new undergraduate sociology journal, SocialEyes, during a reception Friday. This newest undergraduate journal will join the collection of other undergraduate departmental journals in the College of Arts & Sciences at Boston College.

SocialEyes came to be as the result of a meeting of like-minded sociology students last fall. "We wanted a way to bring majors together and share ideas," said Skinner, co-editor-in-chief of SocialEyes. "And we wanted an opportunity for sociology students to share their research. At BC, there's so much research being done, but there's not a platform for undergraduate [sociology] students to share it."

The staff of the journal said that, through the production of SocialEyes it hopes to create a tighter community among sociology students while allowing their research to be featured on campus. "We wanted to reach out and let students share their research and teach people about sociology at the same time," said Oliver, also co-editor-in-chief of SocialEyes. "We were also looking for a way to bring sociology majors together. Hopefully they've inspired each other and will be able to help each other out in the future."

Submissions to SocialEyes are not restricted to sociology majors, however.

The first issue of SocialEyes is composed of seven articles on various sociology topics, from the hookup culture at BC to racial interaction on the campus to marijuana use. A call for submissions was issued to the student body last year. "Our fear was that we'd have no submissions," Oliver said. Yet, the seven articles were selected from fifteen submissions.

The name of the journal was selected after a contest Oliver and Skinner established last spring. The name SocialEyes was proposed by Eddy Hernandez-Perez, A&S '10. "I became involved with SocialEyes when I saw a poster outside of the CTRC advertising the new journal and asking for name suggestions, Hernandez-Perez said. "SocialEyes was just the first thing that came to mind. After giving it some thought, the name just seemed to encompass what the new journal, and sociology in general, seek to accomplish, which is to provide a new way of seeing and explaining society."

At the ceremony on Friday, Debra Piatelli, a professor in the sociology department and the faculty advisor for the journal, spoke of the long hours and hard work Skinner and Oliver contributed to make SocialEyes possible. "I'm so happy to be able to work with these students," Piatelli said. "They worked tirelessly during the year and the breaks. It was a long process learning how to edit and to help the authors reconstruct their papers. I really liked working with them," she said.

The staff of SocialEyes thanked the sociology department and Dean of A&S David Quigley for their support in the endeavor. "It has been a long process for me and Stafford. We could not have done it without the support of the sociology department," Skinner said. "We'd also like to thank Arts & Sciences Dean Quigley for his support and financial contributions," Piatelli said.

The first issue of SocialEyes can be viewed online on a link through the sociology department's Web page. The second issue is set to be published at the end of this semester, with submissions accepted at the end of March. "The next issue will come out at the end of the semester. We're also looking for new members for SocialEyes to keep it going," Oliver said.

Regarding submissions, Skinner said that they are looking to explore new types of media to present sociology in the next issue. "We're looking for new submissions. Many of the submissions before were classroom articles. They don't necessarily have to be academic articles, but we're looking to include a collection of different media. We're looking for research on sociology, which is such a broad subject. Submissions can be based on anything that represents sociology in your mind," he said.