Students Get Memberships To Aquarium

VPSA Arranges For Discounted Tickets

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2012

For many years, the Provost’s office has collaborated with the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Science to offer free admission to Boston College students. Next year, for the first time, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) will be offering similar free admission to the New England Aquarium and the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA).

Adrienne Dumpe, graduate assistant for the Office of VPSA, spoke of the program in terms of giving students greater access to cultural events in Boston. “Dr. Rombalski, [Vice President for Student Affairs], wanted to give students the opportunity to take advantage of art opportunities in Boston,” Dumpe said.

The Aquarium membership will work in a similar fashion to the school’s membership to the Museum of Science. Students will be able to obtain up to two tickets per BC ID from Robsham Box Office before they go to the museum. This will save students the $21 that a discounted student ticket costs at the museum.

At the aquarium, students will have the opportunity to see many different ecosystems that their exhibits replicate. From nearby environments like the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Maine to faraway locations like the Amazon rainforest and the Pacific Reef, the aquarium’s exhibits host sea creatures from all over the world. These creatures range from relatively local North Atlantic whales and Atlantic harbor seals to more distant African penguins and giant Pacific octopi. At the aquarium, students will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to one of the many IMAX shows or tickets to go on a whale watch 30 miles east of Boston.

The ICA membership will work like the school’s membership to the Museum of Fine Arts. Students will be able to show their BC ID at the ticket office at the museum and receive free admittance that day. BC students will be able to avoid the $10 cost of student tickets at the museum through this program.

At the ICA, students will be able to view the museum’s vast permanent collection as well as its many temporary exhibitions. In the fall semester, the museum will be hosting Josiah McElheny and his pictures of the infinite until mid-October, as well as Os Gemeos and Dianna Molzan until the end of November. Os Gemos is a street artist known throughout Brazil and his exhibit will include his paintings and sculptures, in addition to a public mural outside of the museum. Dianna Molzan paints the actual materials of painting in relief and her exhibit will showcase her paintings of painting.

Though the program does not begin until next year, the Office of the VPSA is beginning publicity for the program in conjunction with another museum program that will take place this Saturday, April 21. “A Day of the Arts” is a program run by the Office of the VPSA that offers students free admission to the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and the New England Aquarium and free shuttle service to and from the museums from 11:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.

Although the new membership programs are currently only for next year, Dumpe said that it was not necessarily temporary. “We want to see how the success of this day [April 21] and the memberships go,” Dumpe said. “Moving forward, we will consider renewing it and purchasing other memberships. We want students aware of what is out there and to make it easy for them to take advantage of it.”