Theft Down in September for Allston-Brighton

Published: Monday, October 24, 2011

Theft in Boston Police District 14, covering the Allston-Brighton neighborhood, was down this September compared to last year according to crime statistics from the Boston Police Department. Many Boston College students residing off campus live in District 14.

Compared to the same period in 2010 from Aug. 30 to Oct. 2, robbery was down 50 percent, from 10 to five incidents. Burglary remained unchanged with 36 incidents during the period. Larceny was down 7 percent, from 111 to 103 incidents. Vehicle theft was down 44 percent, from nine to five incidents. All theft categories include actual and attempted.

Even with the trend, officials urged continued vigilance.

"Unfortunately, many crimes are crimes of opportunity, and universities in general, with their concentration of people, can provide many opportunities for unfortunate crimes to occur," said BCPD Chief John King. "The best defense against theft is to secure valuables, whether that is not leaving them unattended in the library or locking the doors and windows of your home."

University police departments in the Boston area communicate when a spike in criminal or unusual activity occurs on or near campus, King said. However, the warning from other departments may come too late for the department to make necessary adjustments for prevention prior to the trend spreading to other institutions. BCPD provides frequent crime updates and prevention reminders to the BC community through its social networking sites.

"Students should always be mindful to secure their residences both on and off campus to prevent theft. Simple measures such as locking doors, including sliding doors, and reporting suspicious activity can prevent many incidents of theft," said Paul Chebator, interim dean of student development.