Two Juniors Found Startup Website, LeapTask, to Cater to BC Students

Assoc. News Editor

Published: Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Two Boston College students, Matthew LeBel, A&S '13 and Chase Mcaleese, CSOM '13, have co-founded a startup website called LeapTask.com.

The website, which "allows every student to have an on-demand personal assistant," according to a recent statement, is a completely new service for BC. Students who log onto the site can post an item or a task that they want or need, and for a college student friendly price, a LeapTask assistant will deliver the item or finish the task. Pricing, which ranges from $5 to $25, covers simple on-campus tasks like delivering food from Lower Dining Hall to any student dorm, or larger tasks like delivering food from the supermarket or getting a ride to Logan Airport.

LeapTask assistants, who are available from 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. on weekdays and 24 hours a day on Friday and Saturday, are dispatched once the request is posted on LeapTask. This is what the co-founders said sets the website apart from similar sites like Zaarly and TaskRabbit. On those sites, posters don't know if their task request will be answered, while on LeapTask, posters receive a text message confirmation that an assistant has been sent to do his or her task. To ensure that tasks are completed safely and professionally, all LeapTask assistants are BC students who have undergone extensive training.

Mcaleese stressed the importance of the site as a way to make the areas surrounding BC more accessible to students without cars.

Mcaleese and LeBel said that students who sign up for LeapTask before Nov. 31 will receive a $5 account credit, which covers an on-campus task. To register, students must visit the site and simply enter their BC e-mail address.