UPDATE: After Surging In Popularity, 'Last 5' Event To Be Postponed

Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 15:04

Update 3:05 4/17: Organizers of the "Last 5" event have confirmed that the walk into downtown Boston has officially been postponed to "a date in the future that is more appropriate and conducive to this kind of an event." Instead, there will be a vigil held on O'Neill Plaza this Friday at 4:00 p.m. for the Boston College community to support and honor those affected by the tragedy.

"At the appropriate time and in concert with the City of Boston, we plan to hold the Boston Marathon: The Last 5 event," Cole posted on the Facebook event today. "Our motto remains: We decide when our marathon ends."

After meeting with University officials, the organizers of the “Boston Marathon: The Last 5” event have decided to postpone the walk to downtown Boston, originally scheduled for 4:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon, according to a Facebook post on the event’s page.

“We understand the impact of yesterdays’ [sic] tragedy and the effect it has had on the city as well as public safety resources,” Danielle Cole, CSON ’15, posted tonight. “With this in mind, we have decided that the original timing of this event would stretch the already exhausted personnel currently focused on the incident.”

NBC News reporter Luke Russert, BC ’08, posted this afternoon on Twitter that a BC official had informed him that the City of Boston would ask students not to go through with the event, given the issues a large crowd could cause for the Boston Police Department.

The "Last 5" event was created by Cole and Michael Padulsky, LSOE ’15, yesterday evening. Since then, more than 42,000 people had been invited to the event, with more than 14,700 indicating that they would attend and walk the last five miles from the Boston College campus to the Boston Marathon finish line.

Only hours after being posted, news of the event spread rapidly across social media. The organizers planned to “remember, honor, and stand up for all those affected” by the two bombings at the marathon finish line.

“For anyone who did not get to finish, For anyone who was injured, and For anyone who lost their life...we will walk,” the event’s description read. “We will walk to show that we decide when our marathon ends.”

“With additional time to plan, we are confident that the event will raise greater awareness and show solidarity within the greater Boston community,” Cole said in tonight's Facebook post.

Meetings are still being held to plan the scale and logistics of the event, according to Cole’s post.