Volunteer EMTs Honored at Awards Banquet

News Editor

Published: Monday, April 26, 2010

Eagle EMS hosted its annual awards banquet Saturday morning, honoring student EMTs and naming Chris Faherty, A&S '13, as its president for the next academic year, replacing Katie Davis, LSOE '10, who will graduate this May.

The organization also awarded the 2nd annual Kevin M. Eidt Award for Excellence to Davis.

The award, which honors one distinguished EMT each year, is named after Boston College student Kevin Eidt, who died of cardiac arrest in the spring 1997 during an intramural basketball game. Mark Ritchie, BC '00, who responded to Eidt at the scene, formed Eagle EMS following Eidt's death.

Christian Eidt, father of Kevin and BC '66, presented the award to Davis and praised the student EMTs for their work. "They have made this campus a special place," he said. "They work so that the lives of others can be celebrated rather than mourned."

The Eidt family has also established the Eidt Memorial Scholarship Fund in the name of their son, whose legacy has served to raise awareness of the need for medical response systems on campus. "We knew he was a special person who had touched many lives, but we had no idea of the width or length of that touch," Eidt said of his son.

Davis said that, although she will no longer be serving as president, she would like to see the organization grow in coming years. "We are making sure we are growing stronger every day," she said. "But we always make sure we remember our own beginnings."

Eagle EMS currently has 140 members and 70 active EMTs. This past academic year, the organization logged over 2,700 hours of event staffing.

"We pride ourselves on being a professional organization," Faherty said. "We have a stable, viable organization."

Meredith Koch, an EMT for Eagle EMS and A&S '12, said that Eagle EMS gave her an opportunity to explore her interest in the medical services. "It's a passion of mine," she said. "It's really good to have a program like this on a college campus."