Welcome to the Block, Maloney

One Less Nameless Building for BC, 21 Campanella Way Now Maloney Hall

News Editor

Published: Monday, September 26, 2011

gfhfgdfddgfhghg

Daniel Lee / Heights Staff

dflsfgbnkl

Daniel Lee / Heights Staff

fgkfldfghgkf

Daniel Lee / Heights Staff

lplplplplpl

Daniel Lee / Heights Staff

As of last Friday, Boston College has one less nameless building. 21 Campanella Way, commonly referred to by students as "Campanella," is now Maloney Hall.

The dedication of Maloney Hall took place Friday afternoon, and was attended by the Maloney family as well as their friends and colleagues.

"The naming is in recognition of a major gift from TJ Maloney, and his wife, Nancy, and their lifelong support of Boston College," said University Spokesman Jack Dunn. "The Maloney's are a three generation Boston College family, as TJ's father graduated from BC in 1949."

"BC is in the midst of a $1.5 billion capital campaign and has surpassed the midway point, with more than $800 million raised," Dunn said. "This major gift from Trustee TJ Maloney will go a long way in helping us to reach that important goal."

Dunn said that the specific amount the Maloney's donated will not be released, which is common for these kind of campaigns.

At the dedication ceremony, Maloney's fellow Board of Trustees member, Kathleen McGillycuddy, board chair, said, "On behalf of the Board of Trustees, we are profoundly grateful to TJ and Nancy. We thank you for your generosity."

"There is no more important blessing than the devotion and generosity of our alumni and friends," she said.

University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. also spoke at the dedication and said, "Maloney Hall is a bridge between Middle and Lower campus. This building is a thoroughfare. We are a school that tries to be a bridge, and in order to do that, we need the help of bridge-makers. That's what TJ and Nancy are."

At the conclusion of the ceremony, Maloney himself spoke. "Thank you for honoring me and my family with the naming of Maloney Hall," he said. "I humbly accept this honor on behalf of three generations of Maloney's."

Maloney was born in Boston and grew up in Pelham Manor, NY, attending Iona Grammar and Iona Prep in nearby New Rochelle. From there he was accepted to BC and graduated in 1975 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and a major in Philosophy. After BC, TJ was admitted to Fordham Law School and received his J.D. in 1979.

While attending BC, TJ met Nancy Nedeau, a native of Muskegon, Mich. who was studying at Manhattanville College. TJ and Nancy wed in 1975 and are now the proud parents of Jack, BC '09, Betsy, Wheaton College '11, and Tom, BC '13.

TJ's father, Joe Maloney, a native of Newton Center, graduated at the top of his class from BC's Carroll School of Management (CSOM). Joe's years at BC were interrupted by service in the Merchant Marines during World War II. TJ's mother, Paulina McKevitt, a native of Brookline, was a graduate of Mount Alvernia Academy, Curry College, and was Miss Boston in 1944. She then went on to be first runner-up to Miss America that year. The Maloney's established the Joseph L. Maloney '49 Scholarship Fund on behalf of his father to provide financial aid to BC students who have demonstrated academic excellence in the study of philosophy.

Maloney serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of BC and is a member of its Finance and Audit Committee. He has been a director of the BC Center for Asset Management and his firm Lincolnshire has been a sponsor of the center. He serves as one of the co-chairs of the ‘Light the World' Campaign for the New York area and is also a member of the Board of Directors of the BC Wall Street Council, now serving as its co-chair. Additionally, Maloney is an active supporter of BC athletics through the Flynn Fund.

Maloney is a trustee of Fordham University and serves on its Finance and Endowment committees. He has previously served on the Board of the Dean's Planning Council for Fordham Law School. While attending Fordham, he was a member of the Moot Court Board the year Fordham won the National Moot Court Competition for the first time in the school's history. He created the TJ Maloney Chair in Business Law at the Fordham University School of Law. Maloney serves as co-chairman of the Building Campaign for the Fordham Law School's new building at Lincoln Center. Maloney and his wife were inducted into the Archbishop Hughes Society for their devotion and generous support of Fordham University. He is the 2007 recipient of the Richard J. Bennett Memorial Award, presented by Fordham Law School in recognition of corporate leaders with the highest moral standards.

Maloney practiced law for 14 years as a corporate and securities lawyer. He was actively involved in a number of the largest mergers and acquisitions to have taken place in corporate America in the 1980s, including the multi-billion dollar merger of Standard Brands and Nabisco, theRJR Nabisco transaction, and the Consumer's Gas and Home Oil merger. He spent a number of years in practice working with Bob Wagner, three-time mayor of New York City and also worked closely with Hugh Carey, the former Governor and seven-term U.S. Congressman of New York. He rose to partnership in New York in a major law firm. Subsequently, he founded his own law firm in New York City.