Winston Center For Leadership And Ethics Looks To The Future

Generous And Involved Benefactors Help BC Students Interact With Global Business Leaders

Editor-in-Chief

Published: Sunday, January 22, 2012

Officially launched May 4, 2006, the Winston Center for Leadership and Ethics has seen great success in its nearly five-and-a-half years of existence. Having already impacted around 10,000 Boston College students and faculty, the Center looks to expand its efforts as it moves forward.

According to Brooks Barhydt, assistant director of the Winston Center, the goal of the Center has been to bring together distinguished business leaders, faculty, and students to discuss and expound upon leadership formation and ethics. As the Center has progressed, those individuals shaping its programs have tailored events to meet the ever-changing interests of students. "We've done a lot in a short time, and our goal as we move forward is to continue to respond to students' requests and needs," Barhydt said.

Through its Clough Colloquia and Chambers Lecture Series, as well as the Jenks Leadership Program, the Winston Center is able to work with students and faculty on two levels. "To use a Dean Boynton (dean of the Carroll School of Management) expression, ‘We want to put our students in touch with greatness,'" Barhydt said. "We've been able to do that with world caliber speakers who inform on a macro level, and then we boil it down on a personal level with Jenks."

The Jenks Leadership Program, which is in its 45th year of existence on campus, was reestablished under the Winston Center after the program disappeared in the mid-2000s. Resurfacing as a premier leadership program at BC, Jenks works closely with its alumni advisory board. "We really draw from them," Barhydt said. "It connects them back to a program that was so formative to them and connects our students to leaders in the professional world."

"Jenks is not just for CSOM students," Barhydt said. "In fact, this year, the program has more A&S students than CSOM for the first time in recent history. We want to make sure people know we're available to any school."

The Winston Center was officially created when three key couples put forth funds to launch the initiative. Robert L. Winston, BC '60 and his wife, Judith T. Winston, along with the center's other benefactors-Charles I. Clough, Jr., BC '64; Gloria L. Clough, M.S. '96; Norman C. Chambers, MBA '82; and Monever A. Chambers-wanted to create a program on campus with the dual mission of conducting compelling research of interest and use to scholars and practitioners, and offering programs that engage scholars, executives, and students in an intellectual exploration of leadership and ethics in business and society.

According to Barhydt, the Center is unique in that these signature benefactors are very involved in its programs, giving both their resources and time. When choosing speakers for each of the Center's lecture series, Winston Center faculty have a discussion with the benefactors to choose people who will address timely topics.

In addition, Barhydt said, "The Winston Center is endowed, so we have a small budget to draw on, but also, speakers have some connection to BC or the overall mission of leadership ethics, and many times the speakers waive their fee."

The Winston Center has a strong place on campus and supportive alumni. "We have a place on campus that's unique," Barhydt said. "Leadership and ethics are not going away, and BC students are unique in that they come to campus hard-wired with ethics. They are already ingrained in them, and our goal is to help them with that."