October Concert Series Continues

Assoc. News Editor

Published: Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Boston College music department and the Institute for the Liberal Arts have teamed up to bring a series of concerts, spanning a variety of musical genres and time periods and featuring artists-in-residence, to campus during October.

On Oct. 10, The Blue Heron Renaissance Choir came back to BC to perform pieces from pre-Reformation England. Directed by Scott Metcalfe, the ensemble performed Nicholas Ludford’s “Missa Inclina cor meum.” The choir also gave the BC community the honor of hearing the first North American performance of music from the Peterhouse Partbooks, the largest existing source of pre-Reformation English sacred music.

On Oct. 13, the Skalholt Quartet, which was led by noted Dutch violinist Jaap Schroder, performed masterworks of classical chamber music. This Icelandic group performed quartets by Haydn, Boccherini, and Mozart. Schroder is known as a leader in the movement to perform early music in a manner authentic to its time period. The period clarinet used during the performance showed Schroder’s commitment to this movement.

Pianist Stephen Drury will lead the contemporary Callithumpian Consort on Oct. 22. In residence this academic year, the consort focuses on contemporary music. The consort will also perform with music students on Dec. 10, and will be conducting workshops and rehearsals for students throughout their residency.

The concerts that comprise this series have all been performed in or will be performed in Gasson 100.