Ooh La La, LuLu!

Breaking Boundaries

Metro Editor

Updated: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 23:02

Happy Valentine’s Day! Now, when I say that to you, Metro readers, I mean it. I grew up with a serious love (pun intended) for this Hallmark holiday. As an only child, my family made Valentine’s Day just that—about the family. Personally, I use today to celebrate those in my life that I love, no matter their title. Father, mother, best friend, roommate, that really nice classmate in your 9:00 a.m.—to me, all those people are just as important on Valentine’s Day as a significant other. And no, that is not some copout because I’m forever alone in February—I’ve had my fair share of Valentines over the years.

It’s no secret that Cupid isn’t exactly present on the Heights. The hookup culture has been criticized, analyzed, publicized, and ridiculed time and time again. And guess what? That changes nothing. No matter how many times Kerry Cronin challenges us to ‘Bring Back the Date,’ we just won’t. I wholeheartedly agree with Cronin that hooking up is not what leads to fulfilling relationships—but does anyone really think that anymore? Frankly, I do not believe we, as students, have been given an effective formula to change our hookup culture.

In this day and age, can you blame us? Half (okay, more than half) of our lives have gone wireless. Jesuits post assignments on BlackBoard. LinkedIn serves the business world as a venue for online resumes. Everyone can be a professional photographer thanks to Instagram. (Please, continue to snap shots of your lunch, I beg of you.) SnapChat, to some extent, has replaced texting—because why not send a selfie instead? Our grandparents own Apple products. It’s obvious that the romantic realm, which, as earlier stated, we weren’t so great at to begin with, would translate to social media too.

… And cue Tinder. According to Wikipedia, Tinder is an easily combustible material used to ignite fires by rudimentary methods. To college kids, it’s the newest dating app. Sounds about right.

A glorified version of ‘Hot or Not,’ Tinder has made it socially acceptable to judge people solely on their best look (like you didn’t do it before). Tinder collects users’ latest Facebook profile pictures, allowing others to ‘like’ or ‘pass’ on those the app suggests you ‘connect’ with, determined by your geographical location. When two users ‘like’ each other, Tinder notifies both parties. If you’re lucky, the guy seen in the Rat every Monday could be your next match! And, in case you’re wondering, yes—this is just as creepy as it sounds.

But Tinder is nothing compared to Lulu, the new female-only app that launched nation-wide last week. Lulu allows women to take control of their dating experience by profiling their men—ex-boyfriends, friends, colleagues, etc. for other Lulu girls to see. Users can add photos, descriptions, and opinions of their male Facebook friends to give other ladies a heads up … how courteous, right? In addition to classifying him by aesthetic categories, women can add hashtags to a man’s profile—#StinkyFeet, #trekkie, #RudeToWaiters, are some of the prime examples. I wish I were making this up. I really do.

So, back to my original question: can you blame us? With the vast expanse of technology literally at our fingertips, it shouldn’t shock anyone that this is what our dating culture has come to. I don’t partake in either app, nor do I agree with the college hookup culture: but I understand how we’ve sunk to where we are today. And you know what?

I don’t care.

I did not come to Boston College for my MRS. degree. Had I wanted a ring by spring, I would have stayed home and joined a sorority in Texas. I came to Boston for a world-class education, one I’m receiving from those wonderful Jesuits who have learned to use email. College teaches a lot of lessons in life outside the classroom. But if I miss a few lessons in love along the way, I think I’ll be alright.