A call for mental health education

University should work to organize programs shedding light on mental illness

Published: Thursday, May 3, 2012

This past Saturday, Boston University hosted “Stride Against Stigma,” an event held to raise awareness for depression and mental disorders. Organized by Brandeis student Leah Lurye and sponsored by the Families for Depression Awareness, “Stride Against Stigma” had each team of participants take 2 million steps to aid the cause.

The Heights would like to commend Lurye and also Boston University for acknowledging the importance of mental health education. Over one in eight teenagers struggle with depression, and suicide is the third-leading cause of death amongst young people. Raising awareness about illnesses that are often swept under the rug will only help these numbers fall.

At Boston College, it has become imperative that our student body begin to understand more about depression and related mental diseases. Recent tragic deaths this year have shaken the campus to its core. The Heights believes that we should also begin to call attention to this cause, and follow the footsteps of students like Lurye by organizing similar programs. We have events for body image awareness and rape awareness, two prevalent) issues that affect our campus. Now that mental diseases have also become prominent, it is time to teach the student body about them as well. Maybe, if we organize such events, our campus will be able to better reach out to those suffering and lessen the stigma.