Apr. 12 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thumbs Up:
Day for the Ages – Boys and girls, time to break out your neon spandex and pinnies, because the only day that puts Aaron Carter’s party to shame is finally here. To the student runners, we respect the hell out of you and wish you godspeed in your 26.2 mile trek. For the rest of us, let the games (in 70 degree weather, no less) begin. May the odds of avoiding authority be ever in your favor. 

Nearing the end- Praise the lord, we finally have a tenative victor for the GOP primary now that Santorum’s campaign has been suspended. Finally, the name calling, crappy tax plans (9-9-9 anyone?), and unflattering pictures of candidates eating or shirtless will cease to emerge. But seriously, if we see one more picture of a presidential hopeful eating a corndog we will straight up vom. Enjoy this small break while you can, because it is the calm before the Obama-Romney storm of 2012.

Celeb Shot- So everyone and their mother has heard that Kanye and Kim are dating, and rumors have begun to surface that Kanye will appear on the next season of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. Yes, we get an alloted time slot of Kanye doing horribly inappropriate things and disregarding every common social norm. How long before he says “I’m really happy for you Kourtney, but Mason has to be one of the hairiest babies of all time?”

Natty Champs- A million thumbs up to our men’s hockey team and a straight up hug to Parker Milner. Boys, you always do us proud.

Thumbs Down:

Tragedy- Yesterday, BC lost one of its own far too soon. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Garcia family, and we hope the BC community can all come together during this difficult time. 

Confusing purchases- On Tuesday, Facebook bought Instagram for a cool billion. Seems like a lot for an app designed to make emo 14-year-olds feel like arsty hipster photographers when they really blow chunks, but what do we know. Must be a part of Zuckerberg’s plan for world dominiation.

Losing the name game- We love him dearly, but University President Rev. William Leahy, S.J.’s blunder during the pep rally was flat out embarrasing. Especially since the football team is more likley to win a Nobel Prize for Literature than a national championship.

Not quite the worst- Careercast.com ranked Lumberjack, Dairy Farmer, Oil Rig worker, Soldier, and Reporter as the worst jobs.  We’re sorry, but there is no way “Reporter” is one of the worst occupations. We can think of a lot crappier jobs. Like a tollbooth collector. Or a deep fryer at Long John Silvers. Or the janitor that has to clean the O’Neil bathrooms.