Apr.23 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Published: Monday, April 23, 2012

Thumbs Up:

Spring Concert success- Thumbs up to the UGBC for throwing a great Spring Concert. Sure, the timing was weird, but it was all worth it to hear “Semi-Charmed Life” and “Hot in Here.” Gotta hand it to Nelly, he is quite the, well, entertainer. Not sure what to call a 40-year old rapper who grinds up against college girls, but whatever.

What should BC call me, maybe- The popular Tumblr  has gotten their own spinoff, Boston College style. Knocking everything from Mod dancing (it’s true, no one looks good) to the Dunkin’ Doughnuts on Comm. Ave., the site pokes fun at our weird college culture. If you haven’t seen it already plastered all over friends’ Facebook walls, check it out. You’ll find that you can’t stop laughing.

Thumbs Down:

Kardashian rule- Kim Kardashian has spoken out about running for mayor of Glendale, Calif. We will spare you with our rant about how she doesn’t even have a college degree or a top 10 finish in Dancing with the Stars, but just let you all stew about how damn long it will take her to finish her campaign speeches. Ballpark it takes her four minutes to say “Vote Kim for Mayor.”

Penguin peril- A couple of unruly Brits stole a blue fairy penguin named Dirk from an Australian Seaworld this past weekend. They woke up the next morning only to find the little guy waddling around their apartment. We would usually thumbs up this for its Hangover style flair, but they decided to release him into a shark infested lagoon. He was luckily rescued after being chased out of the water by a predator. That’s pretty low guys. You couldn’t have just dropped him back off at the aquarium with a note that said sorry?

Inappropriately dressed- Urban Outfitters is coming under attack for creating a shirt that has a “Star of David” style emblem on its front pocket, very very similar to what Jews wore during the Holocaust. What a bunch of geniuses over there. Somehow, they all collectively managed to completely forget the most famous genocide in history. Oops!

Hare and the Pineapple- And we thought the SATs were hard. New York students had to answer questions based on a “whismical” interpretation of Aesop’s  “Tortoise and the Hare” for their critical reading section in a standardized English test. The story, which involves a rabbit  racing against an inanimate pineapple, honestly just doesn’t make sense.  With lines like “pineapples don’t have sleeves” and “Whoever makes it across the forest and back first wins a ninja! And a lifetime’s supply of toothpaste!”, it’s no wonder officials were forced to not count the questions after immense backlash.