Apr. 26 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thumbs up:
Politics take the stage- Love him or hate him, there’s one thing we can all agree on: Mitt Romney  seems, well, kind of like a robot. That’s why we were so excited to hear that he might appear on an episode of Saturday Night Live. Let’s get him out of a suit, mess up his perfectly coiffed hair, and plop him next to Andy Samberg in a Lonely Island Skit about one night stands. Hey, nothing could be worse than that time Michael Phelps hosted, right? 

Celebrating the Arts- Today is the start of Arts Fest, a three day festival that lasts from April 26-28. From creative writing to dance showcases, to improv performances, we get a chance to see our school’s artsy side. We’re particularly excited for the Bollywood-inspired performance of Midsummer Night’s Dream in Robsham. No idea if Slumdog Millionaire style dancing and Old English work well together, but we’ll find out soon enough.

Revenge that’s damn catchy- Looks like Justin Bieber is taking a page out of Taylor Swift’s angst-ridden Hello Kitty journal and writing a hate song toward Mariah Yeater, the girl who said he fathered her child. Although he won’t say whether or not the track will end up on his new album, we can’t wait to see how Biebs will sing about a false paternity accusation in a tween-friendly way. Pretty sure “F — you, you psycho b —, I’d never have sex with you in a million years,” is the only way to address that issue clearly via song.

Thumbs Down:

Should we panic, or- The disease that may or may not be dangerous to humans (but seriously, can we catch this?) is back. A cow in California was found to carry the Mad Cow virus, and it’s been all over the news ever since. But back to our first point. Is this a big deal? Or is this another swine flu like thing when we all prepared to face eminent death via the modern plague and then realized after we barfed a couple times we were a-ok? Whatever, we’re avoiding the meat in Mac. Because if any meat has Mad Cow, it’s definitely there.

Too lucky- Some women in Virginia decided to buy two tickets for the lottery, and both turned out to be worth a million dollars. We guess we should be happy for Virginia Fike (yes, her name is Virginia and she lives in Virgina) but we’re going to be selfish and thumbs down it instead. Really, winning the lottery twice? The lottery gods couldn’t have tossed a cool half a mil to the broke college student who only has $32.48 in his bank account? Or, you know, a single mother with two jobs living in a studio apartment. But mostly the broke college student who really wants to order Fin’s but can’t. 

Purell on the rocks- The New York Times just published an article discussing the “latest” teen drug trend—chugging hand sanitizer. At first we were going to dismiss this and say that only the crazies do it, but then we realized it probably tastes better than Rubinoff. So, no judgment here.