At DeFilippo's last game, show respect

This Saturday, acknowledge the AD's accomplishments rather than creating a negative atmosphere

Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012

This weekend’s football game against Clemson will be Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo’s last, since he officially retires on Sept. 30. Although there is no official ceremony, The Heights would like to take the time to ask students to be respectful about his departure.
In light of recent disappointing performances, some may take Saturday as the final day to voice their frustrations. They may heckle, boo, and insult, naming the crumbling football program as justification.

Yet we at The Heights ask if he deserves such harsh criticism. During his 15-year tenure at Boston College, DeFilippo had a great list of accomplishments. He took over in 1997, in the wake of the largest gambling scandal in NCAA history. From there, he helped pioneer BC’s switch from the Big East to the ACC, had 12 consecutive winning seasons in football, and oversaw four national hockey championships. We may not have been here for a majority of his successes, but they should still be lauded, not ignored or forgotten.

Even if you believe our AD deserves all the condemnation he can get, The Heights asks you to focus on the game this Saturday as our team takes on the Clemson Tigers. Thousands of parents and alumni will be attending, and students should focus on the positive energy this brings, rather than the bitter legacy DeFilippo potentially leaves behind. It’s possible that DeFilippo may have requested not to have a ceremony, so as not to take any attention away from the football team. Follow his example.