Athletics Has Contained Costs, Improved Revenues

BC Still Must Address Gap Between Financial Aid For Male And Female Student-Athletes

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 03:01

Boston College’s four ticketed sports—men’s and women’s basketball, men’s ice hockey, and football—for the most part saw major financial improvement during the 2012-13 season, according to the University’s Equity in Athletics Data Report. It was also the first year under new Director of Athletics Brad Bates, who was hired in October 2012.

After reporting the smallest profit in the Atlantic Coast Conference and finishing as one of only two conference members to post a loss in 2011-12, the BC men’s basketball team saw a slight rise in revenue as expenses fell last year. The move helped the program go from a $623,000 net loss two years ago to an $895,000 net gain last year. The BC women’s basketball and men’s ice hockey teams also cut their losses significantly last year. After losing $1.9 million in 2011-12, men’s ice hockey cut the net loss to $662,000 last year, while women’s basketball lessened its losses from $3.77 million to $2.55 million. Revenue increased for the football program despite a two-win season last year, but expenses also increased, leading to a 13 percent profit loss for the program.

Although profitability is not, and should not be, the main goal of the athletic department, the improvements to three of the four ticketed sports—as well as the increase in revenue for the football program during a woeful season—are positive signs that the financial side of BC Athletics is headed in the right direction under Bates.

One finding in the report, though, is potentially cause for concern. The difference in the average amount of athletically related aid provided to male student-athletes was greater than the average amount provided to female student-athletes for the third consecutive year. This was also the third straight year that the margin increased. Three years ago the difference favored male student-athletes by about $1,700 per participant on average. That number climbed to $5,000 two years ago, and then further increased to $6,500 last year. This is a trend the athletic department must investigate, especially since BC reported the second highest aid gap in favor of male student-athletes in the ACC last year.