Athletics Has Promoted Williams Responsibly

Williams Has Represented Boston College Well As Heisman Award Ceremony Approaches

Published: Thursday, December 12, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 12, 2013 04:12

It’s going to be a busy week for Andre Williams. The Boston College senior is in Orlando as the heavy favorite to win the Doak Walker award tonight, given to the nation’s best running back, and he will be in New York on Saturday as one of six finalists for the 2013 Heisman Trophy, presented to the best player in college football.

While Williams, BC’s offensive line, and the new coaching staff all deserve credit for the record-breaking season, it was an impressive, combined effort from the entire athletic department and the BC community to help Williams earn national recognition. Athletics waited until the football team earned its seventh win to switch the promotion of Williams from just a Doak Walker candidate to a Heisman candidate as well, making sure that the campaign was legitimate and credible.

ARTICLE: Andre Williams, Heisman Hopeful

The Athletic Communications Department has worked tirelessly to promote Williams since then, and they have done it with a mix of enthusiasm and respect that should not go unnoticed. Without all of the graphics, tweets, and coordination with media members to set up story opportunities, Williams’ Heisman candidacy may not have caught the attention of national media like it has in recent weeks. No matter what the awards results are this weekend, having a BC student-athlete featured on the national stage is a massive success and an incredible accomplishment.

Most notably, Williams deserves credit for how he has handled himself since the spotlight hit. From his quotes in national publications to his day at ESPN, he has been positive, humble, and confident in a way that could not have represented the University better. Athletics has promoted Williams’ candidacy in a way that fits his personality and has made sure that he has been comfortable throughout the process, and Williams has followed through simply by being himself.