BCPD Awards Focus On Community Policing

Holland, King, Postell Have Positively Impacted Campus In Their Time At BC

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 02:01

Three members of the BCPD were honored in December with awards from the Massachusetts Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators, including Chief of Police and Director of Public Safety John King. Since King arrived at BC in 2010, he and fellow honoree Lt. Jeffrey Postell have been instrumental in expanding and supporting community policing initiatives on campus.

A community-oriented approach to policing is essential for creating an effective partnership between the police department, students, and other community members. When the community sees police officers as helpful resources, rather than simply enforcers seeking to punish individuals for wrongdoings, interactions between the police and community become more natural and less confrontational. This type of dynamic contributes to a safer and better-functioning campus environment, and King and Postell have led the BCPD’s strides in making this a reality.

As the officer in charge of community policing, Postell has used his talents to significantly advance the department’s programming, as well as its social media presence. Under Postell, the community resource officer program has grown to include 26 officers, more than ever before. His commitment and outlook on policing match those of slain MIT police officer Sean Collier, for whom Postell’s award was named.

While serving in a North Carolina police department in 2003, Postell displayed the same commendable police aptitude and courage that Collier embodied. Then a rookie police officer, Postell was credited with arresting widely sought fugitive Eric Robert Rudolph, the man responsible for the bombing at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. It is noteworthy that BC has such an engaging and accomplished official as Postell working to keep our the campus safe.

Also honored was Officer Keith Holland, who was recognized for his efforts in saving a student in respiratory distress last year while working for the Bentley University Police Department. Like Postell, Holland exemplifies the alertness and law enforcement skill that the BC community is fortunate to have serving on its behalf.