Connecting with BC’s Democratic Public Servants

Published: Thursday, March 24, 2011

Many Boston College students are unaware that half of Massachusetts's current Congressional delegation went to BC or BC Law - and that all but one of them are Democrats.  Even fewer know that some of our nation's most prominent Democrats - both in the past and present - also went to BC.

To help address this lack of information, and to celebrate our 10th year of existence as a campus organization, the College Democrats of Boston College is launching an awareness campaign to call attention to some of these notable BC alumni who have made a strong impact in government and the Democratic Party.

The cornerstone of our campaign will be a series of flyers that will be posted around campus featuring some of these prominent alumni.  Among the Democrats that we will feature are Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill (namesake of our O'Neill Library), Mayor John Fitzgerald (Boston's first Irish mayor and grandfather of President John F. Kennedy), and Rep. Mike Capuano (one of the most outspoken voices in Congress for Sudan relief).  We will also constantly update our Facebook fan page (be sure to "like" us!) with facts about these and other alumni.

This will all culminate with the Fr. Robert F. Drinan Award dinner, which will take place on Wednesday, April 13 at 6 p.m. in Lyons Dining Hall (R.S.V.P. is required at bit.ly/cdbcdrinan).  At this event, we will honor two BC alumni.  The first is Fr. Drinan, for whom the award is named.  Fr. Drinan was the first Catholic priest elected to Congress, and was an outspoken voice for human rights and social justice throughout his tenure.  The second is Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy, this year's award recipient.  Govenor Malloy has tackled Connecticut's budget crisis head-on while ensuring that many social services are preserved during this difficult economic time.

Our goal is to encourage students to learn more about some of BC's most distinguished and successful graduates.  We hope that students will take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about our University's progressive legacy.