Eagles’ Dedication Earns Impressive Dual Beanpot

This Week’s Victories Are Indicative Of BC’s Remarkably Successful Hockey Programs

Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 13, 2014 02:02

Last season, the Boston College men’s ice hockey team set a school record when it won the Beanpot tournament for the fourth consecutive time. This year, the team set another record with a fifth consecutive Beanpot title. Also impressive is the fact that the BC women’s hockey team won the women’s Beanpot on Tuesday, marking the second time in the last five years that the BC hockey programs have swept the tournament.

As integral parts of their respective teams’ efforts, Patrick Brown, senior forward and captain, and Taylor Wasylk, women’s Beanpot MVP and senior forward, are also deserving of recognition. When the game was tied in the third period, Brown scored the game-winning goal in the Beanpot final, tipping the puck in after being flattened by a defender. With two goals and one assist in the tournament—including the game-winning goal against Northeastern in the final—Wasylk put on a noteworthy performance. Additionally, veteran goalie and co-captain Corinne Boyles exhibited admirable leadership throughout the entire tournament.

The men’s win marked the Eagles’ 19th Beanpot title and the eighth under head coach Jerry York, BC ’67. Currently, the men’s team is ranked No. 1 in the nation with a 22-4-3 record. For the women’s team, under the leadership of head coach Katie King Crowley, this victory marks its fifth Beanpot title, and it is ranked No. 7 in the nation with a 21-5-3 record.

This string of victories is indicative not only of the quality of players that BC has attracted and retained over the past few years, but also of the ability of the athletics department, York, and Crowley in developing and maintaining quality programs in the long term.