BC Confessions Must Not Be Final Solution

While The Facebook Page Serves As An Outlet For Students, It Is Not Substitute For Professional Help

Published: Thursday, April 11, 2013

Updated: Thursday, April 11, 2013 03:04

The Boston College Confessions Facebook page has garnered immense popularity recently, as seemingly thousands of students use it as an anonymous forum in which to air their embarrassing or illicit weekend activities, unrequited crushes,  senior top fives, and in some cases, their deep disappointment with what life at BC is actually like.

While the open and anonymous nature of the page makes it impossible to know for certain whether each confession is entirely genuine or indeed even authored by a BC student, BC Confessions has nevertheless brought into the open the often hushed and taboo fact that some portion of the student body experiences an intense dissatisfaction with life at BC. Most confessions expressing such sentiments receive several comments that illustrate the desire of many students to reach out to and help individuals who may be unhappy here. In addition, these comments have prompted the creation of an anonymously run email account to serve as another outlet for students seeking help from peers. These efforts are admirable and reflect positively on our student body, putting actions to the intangible mottos often touted by the University like “men and women for others.” In some cases, however, a conversation with a peer may not be enough to truly heal the individual. Students whose posts involve themes of depression and more serious subject matter may need more than a Facebook message from a concerned reader. It is imperative that the BC community views BC Confessions as a conversation starter about the sorts of issues students are mentioning, and not the final solution to these issues.

Many posts describe an unwillingness to visit University Counseling Services due to the taboo associated with seeking psychiatric care or a fear of admitting failure. Taking the necessary steps to improve one’s well-being, however, is in no sense failing. While BC Confessions can assure such students that they are not alone in their unhappiness, it probably cannot help them recover the way a trained professional can. University Counseling Services, located in the basement of Gasson Hall, exists for the sole purpose of aiding members of the BC Community who are experiencing mental or emotional issues. If anyone believes that they may need to see a mental health professional, they should set up an appointment with one of the counselors so that they can receive the help that they deserve and that is available to them.  BC, though it may not be the perfect University it is often portrayed as, does have the resources to help students in need.

1 comments