BC NESTS Promises To Be A Fruitful Program

The ESS Program Providing Nighttime Language Courses Teaches A Useful Skill In A Fun, Easy Way

Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In the third semester since its founding, Boston College Nighttime Education: Students Teaching Students (BC NESTS) has emerged as a successful program. One of three programs under Education for Students by Students (ESS), BC NESTS embodies the mission of the organization, offering a comfortable and flexible forum for students to take language classes taught by fellow students for no cost.

By creating a 10-week program that enables students to take not-for-credit language classes once a week, founder Hannah Lee, A&S ’13, offers time-conscious students the opportunity to learn and practice various levels of different languages on a weekly basis.

The Heights commends ESS for creating this program and for achieving such success in so short a time. This program is a testament to students’ ability to take initiative in designing programs to supplement the University’s offerings.

BC NESTS course registration is open to undergraduate students until Monday, Feb. 4, and over 150 undergraduate students have already enrolled in the language program. BC NESTS has grown exponentially in the short period of time since its founding, a testament to its success and sustainability. While the program had to recruit applicants for student-teaching positions last year, this year it welcomed over 50 applications for 10 available positions.

The Heights is supportive of the mission of the program in allowing students a relaxed and fun forum to teach their passions and interests to other students. A long-term goal of BC NESTS is to not only teach language classes, but also to offer classes pertaining to other student interests. Some of the classes could, for example, potentially include a class teaching finance basics and essentials for non-CSOM students, or InDesign/web-programming classes for those interested.

Learning new languages will benefit students immensely in their search for employment, cultural access, and self-development. We commend ESS for establishing a successful and innovative program, and look forward to BC NESTS’ continued success in the future.