Courage shown at BC Ignites commendable

The Heights congratulates BC Ignites participants and urges students to reflect on their experience

Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012

Monday’s BC Ignites event on O’Neill Plaza pushed racism at Boston College to the forefront of the minds of a student body that has long seemed to ignore or shy away from the topic. The Heights commends Conor Sullivan for having the courage and initiative to address what he rightly deemed to be a detrimental lack in the BC community by creating this forum. We would also like to congratulate and thank the speakers for their boldness. They each had the bravery to voice their opinions, which many others likely share, and in doing so opened the doors for productive discussions revolving around racism at BC. We encourage students to continue having these discussions.

The Heights would also like to applaud FACES for their involvement in BC Ignites and also their hosting of the follow-up discussion on Wednesday night. However, we wish that more students had attended this supplementary discussion, in order to put the speeches in further context. 

The Heights hopes that students will not so readily push the issue of race to the back of their minds now, but learn from Sullivan and the speakers at BC Ignites. We encourage everyone to reflect on their own experiences, identify problems, and brainstorm solutions, using the speeches as starting points. Think about which ones you agree with, and why. Then talk to someone about it.