Dick Kelley Is A Model Of Perseverance

The BC Sports Information Director Serves As An Inspiration To Those Faced With Extreme Adversity

Published: Monday, February 25, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 25, 2013 00:02

Following in the footsteps of legends such as Pat Summitt, Jim Valvano, and Steve Kerr, Boston College sports information director Dick Kelley earned the United States Basketball Writers Association’s Most Courageous Award last week. The award honors male and female athletes, coaches, officials, or administrators in college athletics who have demonstrated extraordinary courage while facing adversity in life.
In 2011, Kelley was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, but has remained a visible and integral part of the men’s basketball program and Boston College athletics as a whole. Despite having his movement and speech hindered by the disease, Kelley has continued to help and support student-athletes, just as he has done for the past 20 years at BC.
Kelley should serve as a model not just for writers or those involved in athletics, but for all those who are faced with such life-changing hardship. Hopefully, his model of high character will permeate the rest of the athletic department. He has consistently put what is best for BC and its student-athletes before himself, a noble cause for which all administrators and officials of the University should strive.